Protected Areas actually listed under the SPAW Protocol:
Actually, the 31 Protected Areas listed under the SPAW Protocol significantly contribute to the conservation of marine and coastal biodiversity in the Caribbean, while targeting various and complimentary features, habitats and species. Some good examples can illustrate this point, as the Everglades National Park is the most significant breeding ground for tropical wading birds in North America containing the largest mangrove ecosystem in the western hemisphere. The Bonaire National Marine Park encompasses 2,700 ha of coral reef, seagrass and mangrove ecosystems with 50 species of stony coral and more than 350 species of reef fish. The National Park of Guanahacabibes in Cuba counts flora treasures (125 timber, 146 medicinal and 132 melliferous species) and numerous species included in the IUCN Red List or in the Annexes of the SPAW Protocol. The Agoa Sanctuary in the French West Indies covers 59,000 mi² of ocean with the aim of ensuring the conservation of marine mammals within the framework of a harmonious co-existence with human activities.
In 2012, eighteen (18) Caribbean Protected Areas were listed under the Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife (SPAW) Protocol of the Cartagena Convention within the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP).
- in Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Glover’s Reef Marine Reserve;
- in Cuba: Guanahacabibes National Park;
- in Colombia: Sanctuary Cienaga Grande de Santa Marta and Regional Seaflower Marine Protected Area in San Andrés and Providencia Archipelago;
- in France: Grand Connétable Island Natural Reserve (French Guyana), National Park of Guadeloupe, St Martin National Reserve and Lagoon Ponds, Petite-Terre National Reserve (Guadeloupe), and Agoa Sanctuary (FWI);
- in the Caribbean Netherlands: Bonaire National Marine Park, St Eustatius National Park, the Quill/Boven National Park and Saba Bank National Park;
- in the United States of America: Florida Key National Marine Sanctuary, Dry Tortugas National Park, Everglades National Park in Florida, and Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary in Texas.
The Eight Meeting of the Contracting Parties (COP8) to the Protocol Concerning Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife (SPAW) in the Wider Caribbean Region took place in Cartagena, Colombia, on December 9, 2014. Thirteen (13) protected areas to be listed under the SPAW Protocol were approved by the Parties, which brings to 31 the number of protected areas listed under the protocol. The newly-listed sites were:
- in Colombia: Regional Natural Park of Wetlands between the rivers León and Suriquí ;
- in the the Kingdom of the Netherlands: Saba National Marine Park, St Eustatius National Marine Park, and Man O War Shoal Marine Park (Sint Maarten) ;
- in France: Reserve Etang des Salines and Reserve Versants Nord de la Montagne Pelée in Martinique.
- in Belize: Port Honduras Marine Reserve.
- in the Dominican Republic: La Caleta Submarine Park, National Park Jaragua, National Park Haitises, and National Park Sierra de Bahoruco.
- in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines: Tobago Cay Marine Park.
- in Grenada: Molinière-Beauséjour Reserve.
A map of the Protected Areas already listed under the SPAW Protocol is attached. You will also find in the table below a factsheet, report and the website of each Protected Areas listed.
|Belize||Glover’s reef Marine Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|Belize||Hol Chan Marine Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|Belize||Port Honduras Marine Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|Colombia||Sanctuary Cienaga Grande de Santa Marta||download||Report||Site|
|Colombia||Regional Seaflower Marine Protected Area||download||Report||Site|
|Colombia||Regional Natural Park of Wetlands||download||Report||Site|
|Cuba||Guanahacabibes National Park||download||Report||Site|
|Dominican Republic||National Park Jaragua||download||Report||Site|
|Dominican Republic||National Park la Caleta||download||Report||Site|
|Dominican Republic||National Park Sierra de Bahoruco||download||Report||Site|
|Dominican Republic||National Park Haitises||download||Report||Site|
|France||Grand Connétable Island Natural Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|France||National Park of Guadeloupe||download||Report||Site|
|France||St Martin Lagoon Ponds||download||Report||Site|
|France||St Martin National Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|France||Petite-Terre National Reserve||download||Report||Site|
|France||Reserve Etang des Salines||download||Report||Site|
|France||Reserve Versants Nord de la Montagne Pelée||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||Saba National Marine Park||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||St Eustatius National Marine Park||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||Man O War Shoal Marine Park||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||Bonaire National Marine Park||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||the Quill and Boven National Park||download||Report||Site|
|Kingdom of the Netherlands||Saba Bank National Park||download||Report||Site|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Tobago Cay Marine Park||download||Report||Site|
|United States of America||Florida Key National Marine Sanctuary||download||Report||Site|
|United States of America||Dry Tortugas National Park||download||Report||Site|
|United States of America||Everglades National Park||download||Report||Site|
|United States of America||Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary||download||Report||Site|